Organic design (also called sustainable design, environmental design, environmentally sustainable design, environmentally conscious design, etc.) is the philosophy of designing physical objects, the built environment, and services to comply with the principles of social, economic and ecological sustainability.
It embraces some of the following:
- Low-impact materials: non-toxic, sustainably produced or recycled materials which require little energy to process
- Energy efficiency: manufacturing processes and produce products which require less energy
- Quality and durability: longer-lasting and better-functioning products will have to be replaced less frequently, reducing the impacts of producing replacements
- Design for reuse and recycling:
- Design Impact Measures for total carbon footprint and life-cycle assessment for any resource used are increasingly required and available. Many are complex, but some give quick and accurate whole-earth estimates of impacts.
Robyn Monahan Interiors creates innovative and environmentally sensible interior design solutions. Give us a call today and will bring organic design into your home.